Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Oven Roasted Tomatoes

I love Everyday Food Magazine. Love it. I love the handy little digest size.  I love that everything I make from this magazine looks exactly like the pictures. I love that I actually make things from this magazine the day that it comes. It is the only cooking magazine I get that I actually keep in its entirety and use and reuse, and some of my all-time favorite recipes come from here. I cannot recommend it enough to people who enjoy simple, flavorful recipes, lots of variety, and a user-friendly approach to cooking. So if you haven't tried it out, do.

One of my recent favorite go-to recipes - Oven Roasted Tomatoes - comes from their "Secret Weapon" feature. The idea is that you can make one base recipe (in this case, oven roasted tomatoes) then adapt it slightly to make several simple variations. Since this was published in November 2010, I think I have made it a dozen times for my own family and just as many times for others. It's a great recipe for those nights when you find yourself at the grocery store with nary a plan for dinner as it is easy to remember and quick to assemble. It does require some roasting time, but that is completely hands-off. If you are feeling ambitious (and have a pasta machine), it's great pureed with a little cream and tossed with homemade noodles.

Oven Roasted Tomatoes
adapted from Everyday Food Magazine, Issue 77 and here 

PRINT ME!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place 2 cans (28 oz. each) whole peeled tomatoes in a large roasting pan.  Use your hands to roughly tear the tomatoes up. Add 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled, and drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the top.  Roast until mixture thickens, 70 to 80 minutes, rotating and stirring halfway through. Makes 4 cups.






 Things to do with oven roasted tomatoes:
  • spread on crusty bread
  • spoon over roasted eggplant or zucchini halves
  • add to spaghetti and top with grated cheese
  • puree with cream or milk for a quick pasta sauce (my favorite!)
  • toss with steamed vegetables as a side
  • spoon over cooked chicken breasts and top with mozzerella

No comments:

Post a Comment