Friday, October 14, 2011

A Bit of Hope

My name is Hope, and my life is incredibly, wonderfully full. For the last nineteen months, I have been a full-time stay at home mama to two boys, currently ages four and nineteen months. Before that, I was a full-time elementary school librarian by day and mama to one boy by late afternoon/evening/night/middle of the night. Through it all, I have done my best to keep up with the things I love to do, the things that need love, and everything in between.

In the life of a busy parent, hobbies are one of the first things to go. I think I have subconsciously dealt with this by focusing on the hobbies that best fit into the day-to-day.  I mean, you have to eat, right? I get to cook every day, and I find that it is a fantastic creative outlet in my busy weeks. Knitting projects are portable and easily worked on in chunks. I've just started getting into photography, and my kids are very obliging subjects (most of the time...). I love learning about and reflecting on the trials and tribulations of parenthood. And I have a borderline disturbing passion for organizational projects. While these aren't necessarily the same hobbies I had ten years ago, they are things that energize me, ground me, and help me be better in the life I am living. I'll get back to my guitar and bowling ball eventually, someday I will learn how to throw a pot, and there will be many future opportunities to pull out the old passport. But for now, my days are abundantly full of people and things that I love, and I am always learning. So here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment