Tuesday, June 12, 2018

I Heart Artichokes

This is a throwback post that I am mostly writing for my own archival purposes. See, from 2011 - 2013, this blog was largely a reflection of my life as a stay at home mama: lots of projects, lots of kid stuff, and lots of recipes. To date there are over a hundred posts here, many of which feature cooking and baking. I still use this blog a lot to find my own recipes, especially now that my cookbook collection is in a box (who am I kidding, make it about ten boxes) in a storage unit in Wyoming. 

This is probably my all-time favorite recipe to make for people. If you've had a baby or had surgery or had a loss in the family, this is probably what I made for you. And yet I never blogged about it. And so, because I need it to exist digitally, I'm taking a few minutes this morning to type it out.

Sean first made this for me when we were living in our tiny Missoula apartment sixteen years ago. It's the only entry in my recipe journal that is in his handwriting. It is perfect comfort food.


Artichoke Rice Casserole

PRINT ME!

2 boxes Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice
2 Tbsp. butter
3 1/3 c. water
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
3 c. shredded cheddar
2 cans artichoke hearts, chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 c. mayonaisse
1 c. plain yogurt

1. Prepare Rice a Roni according to package directions (using butter and water).
2. While that is simmering, chop the artichokes and dice the tomatoes. Mix them together.
3. Combine the mayo and yogurt until smooth.
4. Spread prepared rice in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Spread breadcrumbs over the rice.
5. Sprinkle half the cheese over the top. Spread the artichoke/tomato mix over that.
6. Spread the mayo/yogurt mix over the veggies. Finish with rest of cheese.
7. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment