Thursday, January 25, 2018

It's All Downhill From Here

I made my Montana ski debut two weeks ago today. It was hard and scary and maybe a little fun but the joy honestly came from the satisfaction of accomplishment. I wanted to love it. I didn't, at least not yet, but I have two more lessons to progress.


When I first arrived, I was waiting in The Schoolhouse at the base of the bunny hill. There was a group of fifth graders just finishing up on the hill. Helena has this great program wherein the fifth graders at every elementary school get a day of skiing/instruction and, along with it, a free season pass. It was a large group that day maybe three classes of students, and they were everywhere. There was a girl sitting inside the Schoolhouse who was clearly choosing not to participate. She had thick brown hair and glasses and had that somewhat awkward/not-quite-comfortable-in-my-changing-body look. While her classmates skied, she sat inside with a unicorn notebook, some colored pens, and a little pouch full of fruity lip balms.

Talk about mirrors. I sat there, and maybe even teared up a little, seeing eleven-year-old me, afraid to take physical challenges, afraid to try something that I might not be good at, choosing instead the safe, warm, but not really fun glass windowed space. Eleven-year-old me sitting opposite forty-year-old me. Feeling out of place, too old for the task at hand, a little embarrassed and a lot scared to be unable to do this thing that most of my friends here have been doing since they could walk.


The thing is, I turned out okay. I may not shred it on the ski hill, but I can do lots of other things really well. And at some point in life, I became a risk taker.  I wanted to hug that girl, and I wish I had at least spoken to her and asked her what she loves to do.

Instead, I tightened my boots, pulled on a neck warmer, and faced my fear. It was by no means a resounding success, but I'm glad I finally went outside.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. One step at a time. So much satisfication in the process. We are so lucky to be near the slopes and to have ski instructors to lead the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Seattle and didn't try skiing until I took a course when I was in graduate school at the University of Montana. When I ended up going down the hill on my face because it was so icy and my cousin broke my skis when she tried to pass an MG (car) on the road from Snow Bowl and my skis were on the back of the VW bug when it hit the tree, I gave up but later took up cross country skiing - led to a knee replacement. Don't give up - excitement ahead

    ReplyDelete
  3. My instructors have been so patient and do positive. I can’t praise them enough.

    ReplyDelete