|t-shirt applique directions here|
But what to do about a cake? I couldn't very well not make my kid a birthday cake, but without a party in the works, it kind of fell to the wayside. Throw in the timing (we left for Indy early on Saturday, which was his actual birthday) and it didn't really make sense to knock myself out. The solution? Cupcakes for breakfast.
To be perfectly honest, it was actually a muffin recipe. But once you add cream cheese frosting to a dense, sweet muffin, there isn't really that much of a difference.These were sooooo good, and super easy; we'll definitely be making them again this fall.
Happy birthday, Finn. You truly light up my life.
Pumpkin "Cupcakes" with Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from here and here
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers or grease the cups.
- Place the first six ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin, 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool, frost and serve!
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients and beat until fluffy, 1-2 minutes.