Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dream Jobs and Spanish Frittata

It's May now, and my thoughts are very much on the fact that come August, I'm going back to work full time. I have mixed feelings about this, admittedly, but am very blessed in that I have the wonderful opportunity to go back to a job that I absolutely love working with people I adore and doing work that I believe in. And that takes some of the sting out of imagining life without my little sidekicks filling my days.



In addition to thinking realistically about my actual future, I also like to dream about what I would be doing if I could patch together all the things I love into one fantastic reality. Wouldn't it be great if we could turn those tiny experiences in life that bring such joy into steady employment? Among the bullet-points on my imaginary resume would be such fantastical details as:

  • creates beautiful customized hand-knit hats
  • sings and plays guitar for adoring preschoolers
  • bakes really good bread  
  • writes wildly successful early chapter books that get kids super excited about reading
  • runs family-friendly coffeeshop full of engaging playtime opportunities for children (I'm thinking treehouse), comfortable armchairs for parents, and perfect lattes
  • prepares and delivers meals for friends and families in need

I've thought a lot about that last one lately. I absolutely love to make food for people who may not be up to making food for themselves. I believe so strongly in the importance of food during times of transition. Is there a business plan in there somewhere? Perhaps. In the meantime, I'll just keep churning out casseroles and quiches and loaves of bread for friends who have just had a baby, or who are caring for a sick relative, or who just need help getting a meal on the table.

Our friends brought home a new baby girl last week. We dropped off a few meals for them, including this yummy frittata. I hope it was good for their bodies and souls...which is in turn good for their beautiful baby. This recipe, like the one I posted a few weeks ago for stuffed peppers, comes from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics. We had it for dinner, but it would also make a lovely main course for brunch. The recipe requires roasting the various vegetable before assembling the fritatta; this can be done in advance to save time.

Enjoy!

Just before adding the cheese and the egg mixture

Spanish Frittata
Serves 6-8

PRINT ME!

2 to 3 cups peeled and sliced potatoes (1/2 inch thick)
3 tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. paprika
2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 cups sliced bell peppers, any color
1/4 tsp. cayenne
6 eggs
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp. flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sliced Spanish olives
1 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a 7 x 11 inch or 9 inch square baking pan (I doubled the recipe and used 2 8" cake pans).

In a bowl, toss the potato slices with 2 tbsp. olive oil, half the garlic, the paprika, and a dash of salt. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until tender and golden brown. In the same bowl, toss the onions and peppers with the cayenne and the remaining oil and garlic. Spread in an even layer on a second baking sheet and roast until tender and brown, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the eggs, cream cheese, flour, milk, and salt in a blender and puree to a smooth custard.

When the vegetables are roasted, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Layer the roasted potatoes in the prepare baking pan. Spread on the roasted onions and peppers, sprinkle with the olives and the grated cheese, and pour the custard over all.

Bake for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set and the top is golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. I know that transition back to work is going to be met with so many mixed emotions. It sounds like you've got a great outlook on it and thats 98% of the battle. I love your dream job list. The second to last one is definitely on my list too. Maybe if we ever live in the same place we could make it a reality. :-)

    ReplyDelete