Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Wood + Photography = Love

I've rediscovered my love of Pinterest in the last few weeks. It supplied me with my Valentine's Day breakfast treat for my boys. It's where I found the idea for the paint chip bookmarks I wrote about earlier. And it lead me to this ridiculously cool tutorial on how to use a block of wood and a printout of a photograph to make a really awesome present for my husband:



A few additional tips garnered in the process:

  • I didn't know what gel medium was. I found it at Michael's in the aisle with the artist supplies (not the craft paints but the oils/acrylics/etc.)
  • When rubbing off the paper, don't rub too hard. I made that mistake in my first attempt and my husband ended up losing his face. I used a gentler hand the second time. Fortunately the block of wood has two sides.
  • My favorite part of the video is where she has a baby sitting on her lap as she attempts to finish the project. Not really a tip, but thank you, unnamed super cool wood photography lady, for that dose of reality in your web tutorial.
And that is about all I have to say. This was a fun, easy, results-oriented project that I will be repeating many many times in the future. Here's the finished result. It looks kind of washed out since the flash reflected on the mod podge, but you get the idea. It's an old photo of Sean and me, but one of my favorites:





3 comments:

  1. This is so cool!!! You are so artsy. :-) That's a great photo of your two. Hope you had an awesome Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I was just looking at this again because we're trying to come up with fun ideas for my Dad's birthday, and well...you know how he feels about wood! Did you print out the photo on an inkjet printer on regular paper? Or was this an actual photograph? (I had to watch the tutorial without sound because I'm at work, so maybe she explained that. hehehe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an inkjet printer and regular paper. One thing to note is that it will print in reverse, so avoid words. I would also strongly consider doing it in black and white - I tried it both ways and I actually think the black and white looks a little classier. I used an oval shape with bark that I got at Michaels, but any old block of wood would work.

      Delete