Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dinner Tonight: Slow Cooker Chicken Curry

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with my slow cooker. There was no slow cooker included among my wedding shower haul; in fact I did not own one until about a year ago, so I'm kind of late coming to the game. The thing is, I love the idea of the slow cooker, and for the past year I've been checking out slow cooker cookbooks from the library, reading blogs, searching online for recipes, and trying desperately to make it work for our family.  I constantly find something that sounds like it will be really good, but four times out of five, it ends up overcooked. I almost feel like my slow cooker is a bit too good; I always follow the lesser recommended time, but more often than not my dinner is mush. So I've still got some experimenting to do.

On the cookbook front, I'll take a moment to highly recommend Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: it's from Stephanie O'Dea of crockpot365 and is chock full of good stuff. I particularly like the chatty tone and the inclusion of personal comments and occasionally snarky reflections with each recipe. So if you haven't seen it, and you are interested in upping your crock pot game, check it out.

This recipe, however, comes from the old stalwart Fix It and Forget It. Not my favorite cookbook, admittedly, but I occasionally find a few gems. This recipe was super easy, the chicken remained very tender (I have more luck with dark meat in the slow cooker than with white meat, as a general rule), and the flavor was nice. The potatoes were a little soft, but it actually worked in this recipe. I served it over rice with mango pickle, plain yogurt, and grocery-store naan. Yum.

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 - 10 hours

PRINT ME!

1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, about 2 cups
1 apple, chopped
2 tbsp. curry powder
1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped

1. Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Mix together gently.

2. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 5 hours, or until chicken is tender but not dry.

3. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment